The following game is one I have been keeping an eye on for a long time. It was touted as a game inspired by the Mario & Luigi series and Earthbound in its gameplay and humor. I see it as Mario & Luigi X Earthbound X Disgaea with it being a zany dark comedy where the main protagonist is labeled as the villain. Recently Degica Games announced that they would be localizing the game. As the title of the post shows the game in question is Virgo vs The Zodiac, developed by Moonana (The main game Twitter page is HERE)
About the game:
Virgo Vs The Zodiac is a sci-fi/fantasy JRPG inspired by the Mario & Luigi RPG series and the Mother RPG series in which you play as an obsessed villain.
The game features traditional turn-based combat with real-time execution of moves: blocking, countering and timing your attacks carefully as well as predicting your foes’ moves is essential to succeed in Virgo’s twisted and unforgiving cosmic quest to bring back the Golden Age, a period of peace, symmetry and balance, or so she thinks.
In this galaxy where every action means a reaction, you’ll play as Virgo, the Holy Queen, often called Dreadful Queen by heretics, bringing mayhem to the Zodiac Realms and leaving a trail of stardust on the way, all to fit her excessively righteous worldview.
- Unforgiving timed-actions combat where all conflicts are lethal unless you protect yourself; precise timed attacks and blocks will bring an end to heresy.
- Counter-Turn system: Any attack can be countered by a variety of equippable counter skills.
- No random encounters: Battles fought are plot-relevant.
- Rewards through exploration: As you delve into the most heretical star clusters of the galaxy, you’ll find a vast amount of explorable areas brimming with interactive objects. Many choices that will impact the game can be brought up through world interaction and exploration.
- Decide your fate with multiple endings.
- Crafting and upgrading a multitude of items shareable between your party members!
- 150+ equipment choices
- Non-self insert and overly villanious Main Character.
- Unlikely friends and foes such as Goats, Save Dinosaurs and a Cookie Companion.
- Spare enemies and make friends!
- Interact with different Zodiacs outside of the main quest within the Zodiac Memories.
- SHMUP minigame and most importantly, you can also ride on Alpacas!
The reason I am sharing the game here, besides it sounding awesome, is the developers revealing there are yuri couples in the game. Even Virgo herself. Who you may ask? You’ll all have to wait and see.
As the end of the trailer showed Virgo vs The Zodiac is scheduled for a Fall 2019 release. The interested can add the game to their Steam Wishlist HERE.